Scholastic launched You Are What You Read (http://www.youarewhatyouread.com/), a new social networking site for readers around the world. Users log on to http://www.youarewhatyouread.com/, list the five books that had the biggest impact on their lives, and connect with other readers through these shared “Bookprints.” The site also contains the Bookprints of more than 130 “Names You Know” – notable people from entertainment, academia, business, media, publishing, and more – including Taylor Swift, Bill Gates, Scarlett Johansson, Tony Hawk, Venus Williams, Tommy Hilfiger, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Rick Riordan, James Patterson, Jim Parsons, Ann M. Martin, Eva Mendes, Judy Blume, Sanjay Gupta, and two former Presidents.
After logging into You Are What You Read via Facebook or Scholastic.com accounts, users can:
- Discover new books through an interactive web that shows how users’ Bookprints are connected
- Find and connect with users across generations and from around the world to see the books in their Bookprints
- Compare their Bookprints to those of the participating “Names You Know,” and find out if they share a book in their Bookprint with famous athletes, award-winning entertainers, world-renowned scientists, or iconic business leaders
- “Favorite” other books they like and check out what similar users enjoy reading
- See which books have been chosen as Favorites from around the world
- Share a book in the real word through Pass It On, which encourages users to give a favorite book to a family member, a friend, or even a complete stranger.
PS: The site is part of our 90th anniversary global literacy campaign, Read Every Day. Lead a Better Life, which celebrates the importance of literacy in the 21st Century.