Current Events:

I have been doing some thinking and I've come to the conclusion that I need to take a temporary break from book blogging. NOTE: Any tour stops that I've committed to will be honored. I have decided that I want to combine my love of books, blogging, knitting, movies digital photography and life in general into 1 blog so that I don't feel so overwhelmed. Right now I feel like my book blogging is a job, I already have one of those. My plan is to come back in the near future with a new blog and a new plan.

My Weight Loss Progress

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Matched by Ally Conde part 1

Title: Matched
Author:  Ally Conde
Genre: YA ~ Dystopian

Synopsis:

 Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

Review:

I had a really hard time with this book.  I don't know if it was everything that's been going on in my real life or if it's the book itself but I could not get into it.  I got about 100 pages or so into Matched and all hell started breaking loose in my life and I lost interest. But here are my thoughts on what I did get read....

I did really enjoy the premise of the book a lot.  From everything that I had read about it in the past it had a Hunger Games feel to it.  I think what drew me to the book was that from the time your born until the end of your life...your entire life is planned out for you by the Society. Right down to who your going to love/marry.

The imagery that I got of the world that Cassia lives in was very vivid.  I really enjoyed that a lot too.

I did enjoy Cassia.  I thought that she was written in a way that made her a "typical" teen, for her society, anyway.  About the time my life went into "cluster" mode I was getting really excited about the new "rebellious" Cassia that was starting to show through.

On to our male characters...I was lukewarm on Xander.  He seemed to take Cassia for granted in my opinion.  I felt from what I read of him that he was almost "entitled" to Cassia.  Ky, on the other hand,  I really liked.  He seemed to complement Cassia in a lot of ways and challenge her in others. 

Now for what I didn't really like....I thought that the book started off slow and didn't pick up speed in a timely manner.  That may have contributed to me losing interest in the book. 

Have no fear though...Once my life slows down a little bit and gets less crazy I am going to give Matched again.  But as of this review I have to give Matched a DNF.

RATING:

DNF

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWW :( Maybe if you picked it up again some other time you might enjoy it better. Sometimes it is just a bad time for a certain book.

Hope everything's ok. x

Jamie said...

@The Slowest Bookworm I'm gonna give Matched another try once things settle down a little bit. I have to let it sit for a little bit longer (it hasn't been all that long since I "read" it) or I'll get bored with it again.