Current Events:

I have been doing some thinking and I've come to the conclusion that I need to take a temporary break from book blogging. NOTE: Any tour stops that I've committed to will be honored. I have decided that I want to combine my love of books, blogging, knitting, movies digital photography and life in general into 1 blog so that I don't feel so overwhelmed. Right now I feel like my book blogging is a job, I already have one of those. My plan is to come back in the near future with a new blog and a new plan.

My Weight Loss Progress

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pegasus by Robin McKinley

Title: Pegasus
Author: Robin McKinley
Genre: YA
Release Date: November 2, 2010


Synopsis:

A gorgeously written fantasy about the friendship between a princess and her Pegasus.
 
Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pagasi, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own Pegasus, on her twelfth birthday. The two species coexist peacefully, despite the language barriers separating them. Humans and pegasi both rely on specially-trained Speaker magicians as the only means of real communication.
 
But its different for Sylvi and Ebon. They can understand each other. They quickly grow close-so close that their bond becomes a threat to the status quo-and possibly to the future safety of their two nations.

New York Times bestselling Robin McKinley weaves an unforgettable tale of unbreakable friendship, mythical creatures and courtly drama destined to become a classic.

Review:

I struck it "rich" one day when I was visiting my public library...I found this book on our "reserves" shelf and I immediately snatched it up.  This book has been on my wishlist for a LONG time and I was beyond excited that I FINALLY got my hands on a copy.

From the beginning I was drawn into this mythical world, full of mythical creatures and mythical locations.  I think that the author did a nice job of giving the reader a history lesson about the treaty between the humans and the pegasi.  In my opinion I think that the history was well worded and very complete, though I think that it ran a little long at times.

I was hoping that I would enjoy this book more than I actually did.  I thought that the author did an excellent job creating the mythical world and creatures but I thought that there were area's where the author didn't do so well to the point of being tedious.  And by tedious...I mean to the point I did not finish the book.

I think what really drew me to want to read the book was the cover.  But unfortunately there is more to a book than the cover.  The more I read the more annoyed I became with the book. I found the constant shift from the present to the past to be distracting to the point of turning me off to the book itself.  There were time's I couldn't even tell who was narrating.  I'm to easily distracted for all the distractions there were in the narration.

I found it hard to relate to our main character, Sylvi.  From the little bit of the book that I was able to read i felt that Sylvi was almost forced to behave as a person older than she actually is just because she is royalty.  I guess I didn't really understand why if your royal you get a Pegasus when you turn 12.  Maybe there was a better explanation farther in the book that I didn't get to but I really would have liked to know a solid reason...other than being royal.

I've been checking out the ratings and reviews for Pegasus on Goodreads and I'm seeing all these 3, 4 and some 5 star ratings for this book.  And here I am writing a DNF review.  Seems almost weird to me.

RATING:

DNF

No comments: